Fall is a time of movement and change. As the winds pick up, the earth becomes dry, light, and cool. The leaves change colors and fall from the trees. There is a certain roughness to the season that corresponds to the attributes of Vata (dry, light, cool, windy, and rough). Composed of ether and [...]
Read more on Balance Vata for the Fall
Sleep in Prakruti –
1. Vata – Persons who are mainly Vata in nature tend to have light, restless sleep that is variable in quality. Often they will only sleep for a short period of time (4-6 hours/night). Vata are enthusiastic by nature and thrive with the love of excitement. As such, they can easily [...]
Read more on Good Sleeping Habits
Improper Sleeping Habits:
1. Anidra – Loss of Sleep
Failure to maintain a healthy sleeping pattern may be caused by increase of Vata in the Manovaha Srotas (Ayurvedic channel that connects the mind to the intellect). This is often the case for insomnia which often coincides with a loss of concentration, weakness, and fatigue. Ayurveda recommends taking [...]
Read more on Get Better Sleep
Nidra – Sleep
Sleep is a state of consciousness in which the senses (indriva) and the mind (manas) withdraw from their activities and the body relaxes. Sleep is essential for optimal health, mental concentration, sexual energy, physical strength, and to digestive power. Sleep is when the parasympathetic nervous system is activated to allow for rest and [...]
Read more on How To Get Better Sleep
• Tomato increases all 3 doshas unless skin and seed are removed. This is because the skin and seeds are not properly digested in the stomach.
• Bitter is better – foods with bitter taste are especially beneficial to health (even more so for Pitta and Kapha types)
• Smell Lime for Motion Sickness Take a piece of lime [...]
Read more on Ayurveda Food
Top 10 Ayurvedic Tips for Healthy Eating:
1. Eat healthy, homemade, freshly prepared, warm food. Food is best when freshly prepared; it should be wholesome, nutritious, and should taste good. Avoid reheated or stale food. Most of one’s food should be cooked, as the body can more easily absorb cooked food. Raw food should be [...]
Read more on Tips for Eating Healthy
Importance of Prayer –
Always say a prayer before eating.
• A prayer is said to provoke the supreme consciousness of the food. (the consciousness that has been lost due to pollutants, pesticides, unconscious cooking). This way the food gives you purity (it is like a medicine for the body)
• Because of food you are created.
• Food essence/ nourishing energy [...]
Read more on Blessing Food
Proper Eating Habits
1. Matra (Quantity) –
According to Ayurveda, the quantity is more important than the quality of the food. Quantity of the food is more important in determining how the food is digested.
Matra depends on:
- The nature of the food
- Is the food heavy or difficult to digest
- Is the food light [...]
Read more on Proper Eating Habits
12 Improper Eating Habits (Ahitahara)
1. Virudhahara – Incompatible, wrong food combinations. Mixing two or more food substances that are incompatible produces toxic effects on the body. According to Ayurveda, every food has its own Rasa, Virya, Vipaka. Some also posses Prabhava, an unexplained effect.
When two or more foods having different Rasa, Virya, Vipaka are [...]
Read more on Ayurvedic Diet